Wednesday, July 16, 2008

KARL MEMORY

Karl and I were Married August 15th, 1999. Unfortunately we had separated before my 30th birthday. (September 1999). I was staying at the FOREVER’S END House for a few months. Sometime before Christmas, in December, I received a package with no return address. It was a cassette tape and on it, one single song. SMOOTH BY SANTANA. I knew who sent it, Karl. I played that song as reasonably loud as I could, over and over. Angry Bob got angry of course. I didn’t care. I loved it. I knew that Karl sent it because of the chorus, mainly.

IT’S JUST LIKE THE OCEAN UNDER THE MOON
IT’S THE SAME AS THE EMOTION THAT I GET FROM YOU
YOU GOT THE KIND OF LOVIN THAT COULD BE SO SMOOTH
GIVE ME YOUR HEART MAKE IT REAL OR ELSE FORGET ABOUT IT

I wanted to believe it was because of every single lyric in that song.

Every time I hear that song I think of Karl and I would venture to guess before he passed, that song made him think of me too. It should go without saying that Karl and I were back together before the holidays that year. We spent Y2K New Years Eve together at a private party gig he had with his band RedEye…. (I think).

No comments: